Wednesday 8 April 2009

School is cool

Last week, Michelle Obama spoke at a school assembly in North London, and I was very inspired by her words - words that I remember hearing at our own BBGS school assembly decades ago. "Girls - you can achieve anything if you study, work hard and hold on to the values that you've been taught". Here's a little snippet of what she said to the girls...

"If you want to know the reason why I am standing here, it’s because of education,” she told them.

“I never cut class. I loved getting As, I liked being smart. I liked being on time. I thought being smart is cooler than anything in the world. You, too, with these values, can control your own destiny. You, too, can pave the way.” She urged them to believe in their dreams. “For nothing in my life ever would have predicted that I would be standing here as the first African-American First Lady. I was not raised with wealth or resources or any social standing to speak of. I was raised on the South Side of Chicago — that’s the real part of Chicago.”

No comments: