Wednesday 22 October 2008

Shamini Flint

Is it just my imagination or has BBGS produced inordinately large numbers of lawyers and writers? Thanks to Facebook, I was recently re-introduced to Shamini Flint, who is a poster child for both professions. Sham, a lawyer-turned-author, shares her story with us.

When were you at BBGS?
From Standard 5 to Form 5 - I left in 1986 to go to St. John's to do science subjects for my A-Levels (that was a waste of time!). It seems like a very long time ago.

What are some of your fondest BBGS memories?
My favourite memories ...the biology teacher who lost all our exam sheets when her car got stolen, English classes with Mrs. Aziz and Mrs. Abraham, lots of friends including a few I am still in touch with like Sharon Kaur and Valerie Kuan, the beautiful old building (I can't believe they knocked it down), choral speaking (although in retrospect I am not so sure), those polyglot days when were were fined for speaking the wrong language...

What did you do after you left school?
I studied law in the UK, did a Masters, worked in KL for a few years and then for Linklaters in Singapore. I finally quit the law when the first of my two children was born (yes, I have children! It is a shock to me too!) and took up writing...

What are you currently doing?
I started writing children's picture books, expanded into Asian crime fiction and now write children's novels as well. My breakthrough came when Little, Brown, UK bought the rights to the first three crime fiction novels - look out for Inspector Singh Investigates - A Most Peculiar Malaysian Mystery! due out in May 2009. The website www.shaminiflint.com has further details...

As a successful published author, do you have any advice for aspiring writers?
Advice for new writers - don't do it!! Seriously, it is hard work and success is not guaranteed. However, if you have a story to tell and faith in your own abilities, the the most important assets are perseverance and perseverance.

What are some of the BBGS values/lessons that you still treasure today?
BBGS values or universal values? The importance of friends, loyalty, self-discipline, hard work, personal integrity and the conviction that every single one of us has something valuable to offer society - once we stop shopping!

1 comment:

Chan Sook Kuen (YY) said...

Dear Shamini,

what a coincidence! or should i say a small world indeed. I was at the Popular Bookshop (local bookshop @ Spore) yesterday with my kids, and your book caught my attention - didnt realise it then. Obviously I bought the book - they are enjoying it tremendously.

Just today i received an email from fellow BBGS that I should check out this blog and come join in the Aug 4 thingy.

My goodness, it triggered floodgate of warm wonrderful memories that was locked in deep inside for so many years.

Warmest regards,
Chan Sook Kuen
Form 4 1981