Friday 8 August 2008

What do you tell your kids?

There have been so many reunions recently and one of the inevitable questions is "How many kids do you have?" Well, truth be told, I have 5 god-kids but none of my own.

So, I'm just curious to find out what BBGS values you're passing to your kids?

One girl told me that she makes her kids only speak proper English on weekends (as opposed to Mondays @ BB). Another girl tells her daughter that she must sit properly with knees together - BBGS style. Yet another has taught the school song to her children and they have family sing-a-longs :-)

What do you tell your kids? Send me your responses by posting a comment or emailing to joannayeoh@gmail.com. And I'll start a new section called "Next Generation" to share your tips and photos of BBGSians' kids.

Ida from Melbourne says...

I make my son clean the toilet. Started him since he was 5 as he was tall enough to scrub the toilet bowl. Hubby thought this was harsh but stopped complaining until he realized how clean the toilets were.

I have also started to instill in him the love of reading and the respect for books.

I have not started choral speaking. I have only 2 kids at the moment. I would think I need to populate a village in order to start this project so I think I'll shelve it.

Jeanne from Perth says...

Remember the times we had to stand within the square outside the classroom while lining up? Well, I apply the same strict disciplinarian principles. When the kids are punished they have to face the wall with hands down on their side, facing the wall at all times and no movement. The time starts only when they have followed strictly to the rules.

Education wise, I encourage them to read. Hence, we have been participating in the Reading Challenge held every year in Australia during the end of year school holidays.

I constantly remind the kids that 'Without God All Is In Vain'. Encourage them to pray during mealtimes and whenever they are sad or scared. We say bedtime prayers to them as well.

Toilet-wise, I have never encouraged them to help wash but I have caught hubby and all 3 kids squashed in the bathroom/toilet when he finally took the initiative to help me wash the toilet. It sure was a disaster as the 3 yr old started bawling when he slipped and fell. Don't think hubby's main priority was to train the kids early BUT he simply was lazy and wanted more help !

On a lighter note, we bought a sandwich maker the other day as I was craving toasted sardine sandwiches from BBGS food sale days. Kept telling my kids, these sandwiches are going to be the best they have ever eaten. Sadly, my kids not being brought up on sardines, preferred toasted ham and cheese sandwiches instead.

Azween says...

Hello...I've got 5 kids. The first two are boys and they are old enough to definitely CLEAN the toilet...of course with the finishing touch of DETTOL! The other value is to sit properly and do not rock the chair.

So sad that I missed the reunion. I only discovered this group recently i.e. this morning while browsing through Facebook. Hopefully there will be another session:)

No comments: