Thursday 9 April 2009

Veni, Vidi, Vici

Just as Julius Caesar spoke these famous words before the Roman Senate after the Battle of Zela in 47 BC, I spoke them today as I walked into Pavilion KL for the first time. It was a bittersweet moment.

Veni : I Came...



I came to see the Pavilion because this is where BBGS used to stand. It's right in the heart of the Golden Triangle in Kuala Lumpur - prime real estate - which eventually crowded out our beloved school when the land was re-gazzetted from educational to commercial status. Yes, some investors made a lot of money but really, as Bukit Bintang developed, it was no longer a conducive environment for education. As someone who had to endure the piling works for Regent Hotel & Lot 10 during her SRP and SPM years, I remember the distractions very well.


Vidi: I Saw...



I saw a very classy mall with amazing luxury shops, and stunning architecture. I saw tourists and locals alike enjoying themselves on a day out. I even saw another BBGS girl wave at me as I rode the escalator up to the ground floor. During the entire trip, I was busy trying to figure out where all our old haunts were. Here are some guesses...let me know if you agree.
  • Prada/Gucci wing - Clinic Block
  • Coach/Ted Baker/ Coast - Office Block
  • Jaguar showroom - Primary School
  • La Bodega - Canteen
One thing I do object to is the Paris Hilton boutique. It was so un-BBGS that I was tempted to march into the store and serve them an Offence Slip :-)


Vici: I Conquered...

I've conquered the gloom and despair surrounding the removal of our beloved halls and grounds. As BBGSians, we all need to grieve the loss and then, let go and allow the process of healing to take place. It starts when we let go of the negativity and move on. Let's embrace the good, wholesome and positive values that BBGS stands for. Those values will not, and must not die.



Finally, I would like to say a big THANK YOU to Poesy Liang for taking time off to show me around. It certainly made my day more enjoyable and Poesy's sunny disposition helped dispel any morose thoughts that threatened to break in. She is one BBGS girl we can all be proud of.

3 comments:

Poesy said...

Woot woot!

Anonymous said...

After we grieve the loss, I guess the hardest and more important part is to MOVE ON. Let the beauty of BBGS values live on in our memory and our hearts..that, no one can ever take away.

Class of 1986

Suji said...

I still can't make myself do this each time I visit my folks in KL ... so hats off to you Joanna. It's really hard to let go.